From Mr. Douglas to Mr. Obama- I'm Praying for you Mr. President



I picked up The Narrative of Fredrick Douglas, An American Slave the other day. I've hardly been able to put it down.

I can't help but be struck by the apparent redemption of freedom for the black person in today's America as I read the horrific accounts Douglas himself records of the days of his, and others', slavery while I watch Mr. Obama and his beautiful family be raised up to lead this country.

I have very strong concerns about Mr. Obama's philosophy for leading our nation, and shudder because the testimony of the colored person's freedom in Mr. Obama's newly inaugurated presidency is marred by the blood of thousands of unborn babies who are created in the image of God, and are as worthy of the right to life as any black, white, or peron of any race. But as I read the true accounts of oppression and bondage my country once deemed normal in Douglas' day, in the buying, selling, raping, murdering, beating, starving... owning of our human brothers of darker skin as slaves, I have to see how this is a day to rejoice in the God-ordained raising up of a family whose race was not too long ago considered not at all to be part of the crown of God's creation- mankind.

So I'm praying for you Mr. President. I'm praying for your wife and children. I'm praying for your eyes to be turned upon the One who has raised you up, and upon the One who purchased your freedom and mine upon His cruel cross. For it is not just the enslavement of a race of mankind that is horrific sin, but it is sin which horrifically enslaves every race of man, preventing them from tasting the true freedom he/she was created to know. Christ paid the unbearable price to purchase our freedom, and I pray you will seek His face, and that He will make His ways and His love known to you in every way.



"Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to
one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be
lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in
hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are
in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not
curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live
in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with
people of low position. Do not be conceited. Do not repay anyone evil for evil.
Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as
far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my
friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to
avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry,
feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will
heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil
with good." Romans 12:9-21 NIV


Prayerfully,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I've MOVED!