Timothy Mom Thoughts- God's Arms Are Long


This is my first Timothy Moms Thoughts post here. For some background on my heart concerning being a Timothy Mom and some background on the "vision" for Timothy Moms you can go here, here and here. Please visit my old Timothy Moms blog to find an archive of my posts on this subject and to find resources that I and some other ladies have found to be helpful in the quest to teach our kids God's word.

Just to get started here, let me give you the definition I came up with for a Timothy Mom:

A Timothy Mom is a mother who, like Eunice and Lois, makes it her aim to not only teach her children the scriptures, but also models a life of genuine faith in Christ to them whether her husband does or not. A Timothy Mom labors in prayer, in talking, in listening, in rebuking, in correcting, in coaching, in encouraging, in nurturing, in serving and in modeling faith in Christ for the prize of seeing Christ formed in her own children.

The other day my 5 year old woke up sick with a sore throat, and cough. When he made his way to the table for some hot tea and toast he said, "Mom does God's Bible say anyfing about sick?"

Just to clarify I asked, "You mean does the Bible say anything about when your sick or illnesses?"

"Yeah." He responded.

"It sure does son." I confirmed.

"Will you read it to me?" He asked.

"Of course I will," I answered with a smile and a quiet prayer of thanks to God for this moment.

I quickly dug up Psalm 103 and read:

Bless the Lord, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless
the Lord, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases, Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies, Who satisfies your mouth with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. - Psalm 103:1-5
"Diseases means when your sick son. See, God's saying He heals all our sicknesses," I went on trying to get every second out of this teachable moment. Then my precious little guy piped up with the question, "Mom, so God heals you even though He's far away?"

"Yes He does son. And He's really not far away we just can't see Him right now cause we don't have the right kind of eyes. But one day we will."

"Yeah, God's healing me cause He has long arms!" my wise little man announced with the "out of the mouth of babes" wisdom which extinguishes the enemy.

I immediately pictured Jesus stretched out on His cross. Arms wide. Arms reaching far. 2000 plus years far. All the way to the kitchen of a little boy with a cold far. And I heard the words:


"Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear..." Isaiah 59:1


I get so discouraged sometimes with the daily discipline and training of life with little ones. The fit throwing, the complaining and bickering at each other... it's exhausting! But times like this God reminds me through my kids that He's at work in their hearts. My job is to plant the seed, tend the weeds and water... He makes it grow!

God impressed on me that day that not only are His arms long, but they are holding that which I'm laboring for- my kids' souls.

Father, help me to trust You daily. And thank you! Thank you so much for speaking through Connor the other day. I was so encouraged! Continue to reveal yourself to our kids Lord. For You have called us to build our homes in training our kids and modeling genuine faith before them, but unless YOU build these that make our homes our labor is in vain.

*Related- Here's a very encouraging article at the Mom Blog by Gina at Chats With an "Old Lady"*

Redeeming the time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I've MOVED!