All Saints Day: Remembering we're surrounded by a cloud of witnesses

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also
lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with
endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and
perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the
cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of
God. -Hebrews 12:1-2

Part of the burden I have to let Christ's light shine brightly on Halloween comes out of the passion I have for remembering those saints who've gone before us, and learning from their testimonies and lives, and also, remembering that even today there are those who are persecuted and suffer for their faith. And not just that, I am a saint too. Not in the holier-than-thou connotation the word saint usually comes with, but in the truth. I am one of God's holy people, set apart, not by my good works, by my faith (which is a gift of God and not conjured up by me) in what the Son of God has done for me. If you trust (wholly lean on) Christ, you too are a saint. (1 Peter 2:9)

Take some time to remember who you are identified with and what trail has been blazed for you as a saint of God's today.


Thanks to Jennifer at Gathering Grace for reminding me about the Sarah Groves song too! How perfect for All Saints Day.

1 comment:

  1. A church I attended in my early teens had an All Saint's Day celebration--a wonderful time and tradition.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

I've MOVED!