Clinging and Being Held

"My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me." - Psalm 63:8

I read this this morning here in the dark.  My body's not fully awake but the Spirit in me resonates an "amen" even in this sleepy shell.  I quicken and stir and whisper it into the quiet house.  I remember Ama.  Amy Charmichael, one of my heroes of the faith.  I remember something I read that Elizabeth Elliot, another woman of God who spurs me on to love and good deeds, said when talking about Amy.  She addressed her listeners first with:

"You are loved with an everlasting love," That's what the Bible says.  'And underneath are the everlasting arms."

It's what Psalm 63:8 made me think of this morning.  I'm tired.  I'm worn.  Being up with a coughing boy through the night is making waking and quiet time with the Lord hard.  But when I read Psalm 63:8 and remembered what Elizabeth said inside my tired body rose up a hope-filled joy.

I am a Christ-clinging woman.  My soul clings to Him.  He is my only hope.  But my clinging is not what keeps me attached.  His right hand upholds me.  I am loved with an everlasting love, and just in case my grip weakens and I start looking around and sink- underneath are the everlasting arms.

I still cling to Him.  Who else could I cling to?  No one else, nothing else, has everlasting arms and everlasting love.  I don't cling because my spiritual safety is dependent upon the strength of my clinging.  I cling because my rescue is dependent up His everlasting love and arms alone.  Who else should I cling to?

It's a relationship.  I cling.  He holds.  His love and might keep me clinging to Him.  And just when I think I'm too worn to hold on, it's not a boost of strength that renews me as much as it is looking again at those strong, nail-scarred arms underneath me.  Remembering His love, and His ability to save keeps me clinging to Him.


Quieted,
Sheila

Featured Post

I've MOVED!