Politics, prayer and predictions

I shy away from confrontation. I therefore don't really enjoy politics or debates. I don't say this as an indication of my good character. It's more an indication of my cowardliness and people-approving tendencies. In me is a desire to live, more than speak, my convictions, but I know I need to have the courage of my convictions and speak them when appropriate also. 

I don't put any confidence in politics or politicians. I believe my voice before the King of all kings has much more influence than my voice at the polls.  Not because I'm great, but because He's great.  I can, and do, cast my vote, but when I cast my cares concerning the decisions of those in government on the Lord,  I'm appealing to the only one who can do something about it.

The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will. -Proverbs 21:1

I believe the Lord is the only one who can change the hearts of men. So I pray more, and vote also.  I vote because I believe God works in me to live out the righteousness He gives me.  He wants what's right.  He created all things good and right in the beginning.  We ruined it.  He redeems it by Christ.  I am compelled to live out the right ways He desires to see in the world.  So I pray and I vote my conscience.  But I put my hope in the One I appeal to not the one I vote for.

I don't get all wound up in who's saying what and what terrible decision politician A is making. I don't even get overly worried about where we as a country are heading.  I do grieve the tearing down of the foundations of what's right and good. I am sad when I go through my day and hear the breakdown of families, the self-seeking entitlement attitudes that prevail, the violence and the dishonor of human life. I know none of those society-destroying ways will be made right by the next President of the United States.  If one is hoping our society will be rescued by the government or a political ideology one has put their hope in a false Savior. 

There's a Psalm that describes how I feel.

If the foundations are destroyed, What can the righteous do?  - Psalm 11:3
If a seven and nine year old's vote after watching a presidential debate and living in a house with a mom who rarely speaks of politics are any predictor, Mitt Romney will be the next President of the United States.  One child reasons: It's only fair for someone else to have a turn.  The other reasons, but God bless him, I can't understand his reasoning.  While trying to discern my trying-to-sound-like-a-grown-up child, I got: He thinks Mr. Romney wants to help people more than Mr. Obama from what he saw on the debate tonight. 

I'm privileged to pray for both men and thankful to know the One who saves.

Quieted,
Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I've MOVED!