Skip to main content

Loosing teeth and multitasking

My 9 year old has lost 3 teeth since Friday! He's growing so fast.
I was thinking about how loosing our teeth may be one of God's ways of saying, "You have to be humbled before you can be lifted up." We go from strong, meat ripping teeth, to gums, funny faces and childish lisps before we get permanently strong chompers. Even when our strong, permanent meat-rippers come in, and we think we're strong and grown up, as Brennan Manning wrote:


... God has ordained the later days of our lives to look shockingly similar to that of our earliest: as dependent children. -from All Is Grace: A Ragamuffin Memoir


There's a debate in our house about whether multitasking is a skill or a disability.

Some say I'm not a good multitasker and I should work on being a better one.  I SAY that, I said that last night, and then went looking for data on how to improve your multitasking ability.

What I found would have seemed self-serving if I had set out to find proof that being a multitasker is not a good thing.  I'm really not trying to present evidence to justify my tendency to forget things, burn dinner while balancing my checkbook, and get frustrated when I'm talking on the phone and someone in the room asks me if the dinner I'm cooking is just for me or for everyone.   Honestly, I was beginning to believe that I really have a problem, some mental illness or vitamin deficiency.  But what I found is overwhelming proof that I don't multitask well because my brain isn't designed to multitask well.  

I found that multitasking really disables one's ability to any of the multiple things they are doing really well.  So for the person who prides themselves on being a great multitasker, the science says they would be so much more excelling at the multiple tasks they are trying to do at once if they would concentrate better on one task at a time.  I also found that these people in my life who I've idolized as great multitaskers are actually probably great task jugglers.  They really are only doing one task at a time but are able to quickly and efficiently switch from one task to another without "dropping" any.

So I've diagnosed myself with trying to juggle too many things at once secondary to a weakness in concentration.  If I actually learn to limit the amount of tasks I'm juggling, check my calendar first thing every morning and PUT things on my calendar (not on random pieces of paper), make lists and give one task my full attention, I should be able to switch to another task without dropping the first one... or burning it.  I could also do with a little bit of mental fitness and memory training!

I have a LOT of things I want to do.  Maybe I need to get a list journal...

Wherever you are, be all there! Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God.- Jim Elliot


Quieted,
Sheila

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

post anesthesia thoughts

(has nothing to do with the post, just a pretty pic i took a long time ago)
I'm not going to over think this post too much.  I had minor surgery today and am still feeling drunk on leftover anesthesia/fentanyl/percocet.  Consider yourself and the three other people reading this warned.
In the past few weeks I've been listening to podcasts from writers, reading articles about blogging and freelance writing, etc.  In one of those I was admonished to write something daily.  Be it a blog post, a journal entry, a poem... something.  Because writers don't just think about writing, they write.  I think my pastor said or wrote that once too.  It struck me then, and when I read this lady's article.  I am a writer.  Not a known writer.  Not the best writer.  But I enjoy writing and I just process life better when I'm writing.  But when I set out to write something, especially publicly, I sometimes step in the quicksand of self-analyzing and get stuck there.  And then I don&#…

eyes on the Author- the every morning struggle to walk by faith

I don't wake up full of vision and motivation.  Actually, what motivates me most is the idea that my french press and single-origin coffee from Guatemala are just minutes away from awaking my senses with it's warm, toasty aroma.  And on those days when I get my stiff, puffy-eyed body out of bed and make my way to the cabinet to prep the press with my favorite coffee and find we're out, I feel great motivation to get dressed and drive to the local store so I can hurry up and get back home before too much time has passed and get my coffee going.

Basically, coffee motivates me to get up in the morning.

Mixed in the grogginess between eyes open and that first cup of coffee I remember who I am.

I am not my own.  I am a Christian.  The weight of meaning in that word falls on me like gravity on the fledgling attempts of a young eagle to fly every morning.

I feel myself falling.  Falling. Squawking out a cry, "Help!  Help Lord!  I am yours. Let me hear your loving kindness…

An Unlikely 23 Years

Wedding Day- Sept.4, 1993
Connor's birthday- April 1, 2003
During our first separation and pregnancy with Ryland- November 2004
Seeking a new start in Arizona all together- October 2005
 Second separation March 2010
Still together on a desert trail- Spring 2015
Today has been a tough day, emotionally.

Twenty three years ago today I made a vow before God and about 100 family and friends to take James as my husband, to have and to hold from that day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, till death do us part.

Those are some serious promises.  Better, worse, richer and poorer, sickness and health have all been part of these 23 years.  Honestly, most of it has been hard.  We weren't a very likely match at 19 and 21.  He from the big city, me from a small town.  His dad a pharmacist, mine a log truck driver.  We met in a child development class, taking pre-reqs for nursing.  He hated it.  I loved it.  He had long hair and torn jeans and l…