It's easy to miss



Tonight I caught myself moping.

I was comparing my problems to others and thinking they had nothing to complain about. Boy is that a slippery slope! It's a fast ride down to the pool of depression. But thank the Lord I caught myself. Actually He caught me and said, "Thank Me for the grace I give to help you in your time of need."

I was naturally inclined to ignore that thought and keep moping. Sliding quickly down. Down. Down. But I didn't. Instead I opened my mouth and said, "Thank You Lord that you've given me the grace to go through this. And thank you that you've provided others in my life the grace to go through what they go through."


It was as though I was on some weird Willy Wonka chocolate factory ride. Suddenly there was no mad, out of control spin of depressing thoughts. There was just a peace that put all that to rest. My circumstances didn't change. I still hate it that I have to go through this. But everyone has to go through stuff.

In this world there's trouble. Period. Some go through their storms with the One whom the wind and the waves obey (even though at times it may feel like He's taking a nap while you're about to sink). Some try to muscle through. Others jump ship. But for any of us who would simply thank God for the grace He provides- not just to grin and bear it, but to grow in it, be made more beautiful by it, become stronger through it, and come out as gold when its over- for us there is a sweetness which is easy to miss in this bitter life.

It's gonna take some clinging. Its gonna take some trusting. Its gonna take remembering who our God is. He understands. He knows us. We're gonna have to be bold so we can find, and not miss, the grace He so generously gives when we need it.



That is why we have a great High Priest who has gone to heaven, Jesus the Son of God. Let us cling to him and never stop trusting him. This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same temptations we do, yet he did not sin. So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it. - Hebrews 4:14-16


Quieted,


Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I've MOVED!