What are you learning?


Whoa! What a day!

What am I learning?

Where do I start?

I'm continuing my reading through the Psalms and have been really impressed by the emphasis in the Psalms on God's trustworthiness when it comes to making sure right is done by His kids... even if it doesn't seem like it at the time.

I've also been recalling Bible prophecies as I see the news unfold and it seems that the tiny plot of property, Israel, is increasingly a cup of trembling to the world. I've been just listening and praying for discernment so that I can give an answer to those who ask a reason for the hope that is in me in the times I live.

But as I pause to really think about what I've been learning from the Lord this week 2 MAJOR points come to mind:

1. God is sovereign and is able to accomplish the good He desires in the lives
of those I love even when I'm not there (Imagine that! :)

And

2. There is something really special and really spiritual-muscle building about
secret times of prayer and fasting.


I'm at a time in my life where I'm being asked to go back to work, and not just asked, led. Led by the Lord. And I have as much nervousness, excitement, and peace about it as I did about His leading to stay home 4 years ago. Only this time, I'm not going to make the same mistake I did when He led me to stay home by trying to make a doctrine about whether a woman should or shouldn't work outside her home... that is just not part of God's word. (But that's a whole 'nother post)

Today, as I was getting ready to leave to take a class that I needed to be able to go back to work, God sooooo reminded me of the heart-work HE's accomplishing in my children and husband's lives, and that "Unless the LORD builds the house..." the wise wife who labors to build it is building it in vain. He reminded me that HE IS building my house and so I can trust Him as He leads me in being away from them for hours at a time.

Here's what happened:
I had just gotten out of the shower and I heard my husband in the living room playing his guitar... some Dave Matthews tune he's been working on for awhile. Anyway, then I heard my sons, who were at the table say, "Dad, play, (singing) 'Our God is an awesome God He reigns from heaven above with wisdom, power and love, our God is an awesome God!'" Then I heard my husband saying, "No, Connor, why don't you sing that 'Blessed Be the Name' song and I'll play it." So there I was, fighting back tears with a big grin on my face and a heart full of flutters, with my husband playing "Blessed Be the Name" on the guitar, and my two sons belting it out as loud as they could at the breakfast table. I joined them. And I found myself singing with my imperfect family, praises to the God who "gives and takes away."

He has given me this home. He has given me 4 years to be solely at home. He has given me the call to serve as unto the Lord in homemaking whether I'm working or not. He has given me the call to "build" my house. And He has also taken away some of the time I'm present with them, calling me to trust Him. And so I am.

As far as the prayer and fasting this is something I've been struggling to grow in for sometime. And since my kids are up from their nap and I'm home now, I think I'll save the neat stuff the Lord is teaching me about prayer and fasting for next week. :)

Our God is good. He is Sovereign. His goal is not to kill our "Isaac's" but to build our faith in His character, knowing He is able to raise from the dead that which we see as a loss. And I'm learning to trust Him!


"Unto the upright there arises light in the darkness; He is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous. A good man deals graciously and lends; He will guide his affairs with discretion. Surely he will never be shaken; The righteous will be in everlasting remembrance. He will not be afraid of evil tidings; His heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. His heart is established; He will not be afraid..." Psalm 112:4-8a
Head over to Gina's (Chats With an "Old Lady") and share what you're learning.


Redeeming the time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I've MOVED!