Advent Day 6: Who Is this Baby?


I've been focusing on Jesus as the light of the world in these devotions. I've been thinking about this a lot because of the people in my life who challenge my beliefs and question why I do what I do and why I don't do what I don't do. When someone asks you as a Christian, "What does make you happy? What are you living for? What is your purpose on the earth?" You want to give a sincere and meaningful answer, even if they don't get you.

When I was asked these questions recently and heard the answers coming out of my mouth, I realized this Jesus I believe in as the light of the world really does live in me!  I really am different.  Not because I'm trying to be holier than thou or pious or prudish.  And not because I'm judging the people around me.  I'm different because the same Christ who was born in a cave 2000 plus years ago and grew to be a man who said things like, "I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness but have the light of life.", and, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word." lives in me!

I believe Jesus is who he says he is.  I can bear to hear his word.  I have the light of life.  And because of him I know who I am and where I'm going.  My soul is satisfied and the happinesses of life are full of meaning and the sorrows of life are too.  I know my purpose here, and as the precious soul who challenges me of late pointed out, I am drawn to Jesus like a magnet to steel.   I am not different because I'm above anyone, I'm different because Jesus has forever changed me.

I'm amazed when I think about the fact that I really am a son of light.  I amazed because I'm one of those believers that wrestles with God a lot and is unbelieving often.  My favorite prayer is, "Lord I believe, help my unbelief."  I know that I am who I am because Mary's baby in a manger thousands of years ago is the Light of the World and has exposed my darkness, found me out and caused me to see.

I know this means at least that I will suffer and be misunderstood.  It means at least that I will be rejected by people I love and not feel at home in this world.  It means at least that I will give my life away and not keep it for myself.  But it means so much more.  It means nothing rules me here.  It means I'm totally free because Christ has exposed what enslaves me and given me the power to break free.  It means I will see Christ face to face someday, not in some ethereal experience, but face to skin and eyeball face.  It means one day I will win.  It means sin and death will be nothing someday.  It means I will one day be fully the woman of God I was created to be in the first place.  It means I will spend eternity with this family of sons and daughters of light and our King and Maker.  It means I won't live a life grasping at one source of temporary happiness after another.

What about you?  Have you thought about what the deal is with this baby in a manger?  Have you asked any Christians you know about him and why the believe what they believe?  Have you ever considered reading what he said about himself and what others have said about him?  I wonder if you'd be willing to think about him and see if you can bear to hear his words?  And if you can, I wonder if you'd study him and learn from him and let him make you a son of light.

That's what I want for my precious one who challenges me.  More than anything.  I want this person to know who that baby in a manger is and why it matters that he came.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I've MOVED!