Skip to main content

Goats and Highways







Having goats is great entertainment.  I'd take a few hours out here with my goats over T.V. any day.  They're so goofy and clumsy and fun.

The momma goat, Darla, is doing a fine job for a first time mom.  She leads her kids out of the pen twice a day and runs around with them for a little exercise.  She baaas at them and they baaa back.  She sniffs their tails and nudges them in the butt when she wants them to move.  And she's very protective of them!  She's head butted Bailey, our 10 year old female Lab twice for getting a little too close.

The papa goat, aw, he's a buck.  He could care less.  He sniffs the kids a bit through the pen (we keep them and the dam together but separate from the buck) but then he sniffs just about everything.  He's a big show off chauvinist and I think he's great.  He's got himself a go tee now and stands with his head at my shoulders (I'm 5' 11").  He's a pretty tall guy.  He often stands on his back hoofs and raises his face as high up in the air as he can as though to announce that he's, "The man!"  When he does that he towers over me about a foot.  He loves to "wrestle" with the boys, including the 41 year old boy in the house.  They put their heads together and chase each other.  Duke, the buck, swings his head and knocks over a Dougal man and then the Dougal man pushes Duke and they chase each other some more.

When you've got goats, at minimum, you've got some good entertainment.

Are there highways in your heart?  I was reading Psalm 84 this morning.  Verse 5 really struck me:

O the happiness of a man whose strength is in Thee, Highways [are] in their heart. - Young's Literal Translation
There are highways in my heart.  They were pioneered by Christ.  He's gone before me and I follow His trail with the Holy Spirit as my guide.  It's not the well-worn highway of the world.  It's not a broad road either.  It's high though.  It's not the way I would naturally choose.  On this highway, that ends face to face with my living Lord, there are steep and narrow paths.  Some areas are thorny.  Many areas are dry and barren and I thirst.  And there are long valleys of weeping.  In those long, dry, hot stretches,  I remember He's gone before me.

It's a highway of the heart.  It's a pilgrimage of the inner man.  The inner me is journeying home, even though I'm sitting in Surprise, Arizona.  It's a highway of faith in Christ.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. -Hebrews 12:1-2

Where's your life going?  Is there a highway in your heart?  Or are you just adrift?  A dead fish going with the current downstream?

Quieted,
Sheila

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eyes on the Author- the every morning struggle to walk by faith

I don't wake up full of vision and motivation.  Actually, what motivates me most is the idea that my french press and single-origin coffee from Guatemala are just minutes away from awaking my senses with it's warm, toasty aroma.  And on those days when I get my stiff, puffy-eyed body out of bed and make my way to the cabinet to prep the press with my favorite coffee and find we're out, I feel great motivation to get dressed and drive to the local store so I can hurry up and get back home before too much time has passed and get my coffee going.

Basically, coffee motivates me to get up in the morning.

Mixed in the grogginess between eyes open and that first cup of coffee I remember who I am.

I am not my own.  I am a Christian.  The weight of meaning in that word falls on me like gravity on the fledgling attempts of a young eagle to fly every morning.

I feel myself falling.  Falling. Squawking out a cry, "Help!  Help Lord!  I am yours. Let me hear your loving kindness…

post anesthesia thoughts

(has nothing to do with the post, just a pretty pic i took a long time ago)
I'm not going to over think this post too much.  I had minor surgery today and am still feeling drunk on leftover anesthesia/fentanyl/percocet.  Consider yourself and the three other people reading this warned.
In the past few weeks I've been listening to podcasts from writers, reading articles about blogging and freelance writing, etc.  In one of those I was admonished to write something daily.  Be it a blog post, a journal entry, a poem... something.  Because writers don't just think about writing, they write.  I think my pastor said or wrote that once too.  It struck me then, and when I read this lady's article.  I am a writer.  Not a known writer.  Not the best writer.  But I enjoy writing and I just process life better when I'm writing.  But when I set out to write something, especially publicly, I sometimes step in the quicksand of self-analyzing and get stuck there.  And then I don&#…

An Unlikely 23 Years

Wedding Day- Sept.4, 1993
Connor's birthday- April 1, 2003
During our first separation and pregnancy with Ryland- November 2004
Seeking a new start in Arizona all together- October 2005
 Second separation March 2010
Still together on a desert trail- Spring 2015
Today has been a tough day, emotionally.

Twenty three years ago today I made a vow before God and about 100 family and friends to take James as my husband, to have and to hold from that day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, till death do us part.

Those are some serious promises.  Better, worse, richer and poorer, sickness and health have all been part of these 23 years.  Honestly, most of it has been hard.  We weren't a very likely match at 19 and 21.  He from the big city, me from a small town.  His dad a pharmacist, mine a log truck driver.  We met in a child development class, taking pre-reqs for nursing.  He hated it.  I loved it.  He had long hair and torn jeans and l…