Goats and Highways







Having goats is great entertainment.  I'd take a few hours out here with my goats over T.V. any day.  They're so goofy and clumsy and fun.

The momma goat, Darla, is doing a fine job for a first time mom.  She leads her kids out of the pen twice a day and runs around with them for a little exercise.  She baaas at them and they baaa back.  She sniffs their tails and nudges them in the butt when she wants them to move.  And she's very protective of them!  She's head butted Bailey, our 10 year old female Lab twice for getting a little too close.

The papa goat, aw, he's a buck.  He could care less.  He sniffs the kids a bit through the pen (we keep them and the dam together but separate from the buck) but then he sniffs just about everything.  He's a big show off chauvinist and I think he's great.  He's got himself a go tee now and stands with his head at my shoulders (I'm 5' 11").  He's a pretty tall guy.  He often stands on his back hoofs and raises his face as high up in the air as he can as though to announce that he's, "The man!"  When he does that he towers over me about a foot.  He loves to "wrestle" with the boys, including the 41 year old boy in the house.  They put their heads together and chase each other.  Duke, the buck, swings his head and knocks over a Dougal man and then the Dougal man pushes Duke and they chase each other some more.

When you've got goats, at minimum, you've got some good entertainment.

Are there highways in your heart?  I was reading Psalm 84 this morning.  Verse 5 really struck me:

O the happiness of a man whose strength is in Thee, Highways [are] in their heart. - Young's Literal Translation
There are highways in my heart.  They were pioneered by Christ.  He's gone before me and I follow His trail with the Holy Spirit as my guide.  It's not the well-worn highway of the world.  It's not a broad road either.  It's high though.  It's not the way I would naturally choose.  On this highway, that ends face to face with my living Lord, there are steep and narrow paths.  Some areas are thorny.  Many areas are dry and barren and I thirst.  And there are long valleys of weeping.  In those long, dry, hot stretches,  I remember He's gone before me.

It's a highway of the heart.  It's a pilgrimage of the inner man.  The inner me is journeying home, even though I'm sitting in Surprise, Arizona.  It's a highway of faith in Christ.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. -Hebrews 12:1-2

Where's your life going?  Is there a highway in your heart?  Or are you just adrift?  A dead fish going with the current downstream?

Quieted,
Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I've MOVED!