Hard

It's a hard and heavy thing. But I wouldn't want the Rock of my life to be anything else. I wouldn't want my Rock to be soft when hurricanes or cancer or an abandoning spouse or a present unbelieving one or disrespectful kids or scorpion infested apartments or anything else that shatters a person's foundation comes.

Nevertheless, its still a hard and heavy thing to confess:

Come, and let us return to the LORD; For He has torn, but He will heal us; He has stricken, but He will bind us up. - Hosea 6:1


You can only find comfort in this hard and heavy truth when you've been slain by the painful things.

This truth searches me.  It shakes whatever can be shaken.  It proves if He's enough, or if there's something else I'm leaning on.

Is He enough if I work full-time or part-time or not at all?  Is He enough if I home school or take the kids to a private school or a public school?  Is He enough if I live close to family or far away in a desert?  Is He enough if I live in a comfortable home or one that's mostly a safety hazard?  Is He enough if my house is clean or cluttered?  Is He enough if I'm physically strong or struggle with health problems? Is He enough if my husband loves me and loves Christ and teaches the kids the scriptures or if he doesn't?  Is He enough if my children trust Christ and follow Him or if they don't?  Is He enough if the kids obey me or if they argue and oppose and challenge? Is He enough if I have a close confidant... or if it feels like I can't turn to anyone?

The rock-solid truth of the Sovereignty and pure-love discipline of my Father God is standing up to my idols, knocking them down and blowing away the things that bind me.


“Though You Slay Me” (featuring John Piper) from Desiring God on Vimeo.




 Quieted,
Sheila

Featured Post

I've MOVED!