Skip to main content

Refuge in the Unchangeable.

I haven't written consistently over the past few years. In fact, I stopped blogging and journaling about 4 years ago when my husband and I separated. I felt like God shut my mouth (or hands). In part I couldn't write publicly because I was afraid of what would come out and the further damage it may cause. But mostly I just didn't have the overflow of thought to pen or keypad like I had before that major earthquake hit my life.  It wasn't really until my pastor encouraged me to write more that I started doing so.  But, even since then, I've been very inconsistent.  Tonight, while reading his blog, I was immediately reminded that I need to "stir up the gift".  I may have had a season of being quiet in my writing/blogging, but it's time to start again, and if I don't shake these cobwebs off, and keep writing I'm gonna be wasting something God gave me.  Not that each post will by any means be "inspired", but I certainly could improve at being more disciplined in writing for the value of the exercise itself.

I watched the eighth graders at Wildflower (the school where I've been employed as a nurse for four years) commence into high school today.  These four years have gone by so fast.  So much has happened.  When a period of time is eventful it seems to go by more quickly.  When I started at Wildflower I was at a very low place in my life.  I didn't want to be there.  I didn't want my life to be the way it was.  But God put me there.  And I'm convinced, after these four years, there were at least some specific children I was put there for.  Not that I was the main instrument of ministering.  Those children were used of God in my life more than they'll ever know!  I was never "Nurse Sheila" before.  And being called "Nurse Sheila" will feel like a hug to me henceforth.

Watching those kids walk in the commencement ceremony today, it hit me:  Connor is going into fifth grade this fall.  That's exactly the age these kids were when I began caring for them at Wildflower.  This means my firstborn son is going to be graduating from 8th grade in a flash!  Oh dear.  I haven't much time.

There are so many changes on the horizon, and, although I know and have great assurance that my good God is sovereign over them all, and has, in fact, ordained them to be, I am still a bit queasy for all that movement and change occurring right now.  I'm starting a new job in the hospital this month.  James  purchased a fixer-upper house which we will be moving into at the end of this month.  The house is on horse property and is in a county-island with a Surprise zip code.  The boys will either have to be driven daily to the school they went to this year (it's a good school) or go to the school where our new house is.  I like the idea of them going to a school in their neighborhood.  I like to know my neighbors and have my kids involved with the kids in their neighborhood.  Going to the same school as your neighbors is a good way to do that.  But I also don't like switching schools.  They both love the school they're at now and so do I.  It's a decision we have to make.

All of this is going down and the boys and I are taking off to Oregon and Northern Cal this weekend for our annual trip home.  We'll be gone for two weeks and when we get back, all those changes will be upon us.

I say all the changes have made me queasy cause that's literally how I feel.  Uneasy. Unstable.  It sure is good to know the Rock in times like this... to know where your anchor is.


So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us.This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls. It leads us through the curtain into God's inner sanctuary. - Hebrews 6:18-19

 Quieted,
Sheila

Popular posts from this blog

eyes on the Author- the every morning struggle to walk by faith

I don't wake up full of vision and motivation.  Actually, what motivates me most is the idea that my french press and single-origin coffee from Guatemala are just minutes away from awaking my senses with it's warm, toasty aroma.  And on those days when I get my stiff, puffy-eyed body out of bed and make my way to the cabinet to prep the press with my favorite coffee and find we're out, I feel great motivation to get dressed and drive to the local store so I can hurry up and get back home before too much time has passed and get my coffee going.

Basically, coffee motivates me to get up in the morning.

Mixed in the grogginess between eyes open and that first cup of coffee I remember who I am.

I am not my own.  I am a Christian.  The weight of meaning in that word falls on me like gravity on the fledgling attempts of a young eagle to fly every morning.

I feel myself falling.  Falling. Squawking out a cry, "Help!  Help Lord!  I am yours. Let me hear your loving kindness…

post anesthesia thoughts

(has nothing to do with the post, just a pretty pic i took a long time ago)
I'm not going to over think this post too much.  I had minor surgery today and am still feeling drunk on leftover anesthesia/fentanyl/percocet.  Consider yourself and the three other people reading this warned.
In the past few weeks I've been listening to podcasts from writers, reading articles about blogging and freelance writing, etc.  In one of those I was admonished to write something daily.  Be it a blog post, a journal entry, a poem... something.  Because writers don't just think about writing, they write.  I think my pastor said or wrote that once too.  It struck me then, and when I read this lady's article.  I am a writer.  Not a known writer.  Not the best writer.  But I enjoy writing and I just process life better when I'm writing.  But when I set out to write something, especially publicly, I sometimes step in the quicksand of self-analyzing and get stuck there.  And then I don&#…

An Unlikely 23 Years

Wedding Day- Sept.4, 1993
Connor's birthday- April 1, 2003
During our first separation and pregnancy with Ryland- November 2004
Seeking a new start in Arizona all together- October 2005
 Second separation March 2010
Still together on a desert trail- Spring 2015
Today has been a tough day, emotionally.

Twenty three years ago today I made a vow before God and about 100 family and friends to take James as my husband, to have and to hold from that day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, till death do us part.

Those are some serious promises.  Better, worse, richer and poorer, sickness and health have all been part of these 23 years.  Honestly, most of it has been hard.  We weren't a very likely match at 19 and 21.  He from the big city, me from a small town.  His dad a pharmacist, mine a log truck driver.  We met in a child development class, taking pre-reqs for nursing.  He hated it.  I loved it.  He had long hair and torn jeans and l…