A summer for new feet


There is a time and a season for everything. Sometimes it seems its time for the same thing every season. But this summer was different than other summers. I thought it was a season for me to enjoy the fruit of my labors, but it was actually a time for new feet.

This was a summer of getting to know neighbors, piano lessons, waiting on God and seeing His clear provision. It was a summer of discovering hidden dreams in my children and finding new ways to guide them in that direction. It was a summer of re-connecting with loved ones far away. This summer I planted a garden and stuck to a budget. This summer was a summer of planning and dreaming and letting go of what it’s not time for. I was a summer of choosing to do something good while I wait for the One who decides the times and seasons.

I have plans and dreams. I must plan and dream, but I also must yield to the One who created the times and seasons. My times are in His hands. I can build, but if He’s not building the structure will last as long as a tulip planted in the middle of summer. It’s not time. It’s not the season.

Long ago, a guy with a strange name had plans, but it wasn’t time. He saw destruction all around him. Nothing he desired was coming to pass. Yet instead of getting bitter he yielded to the reality that it was altogether a different season than he expected. He had every reason to grow depressed but instead he rejoiced in the One who makes seasons, the One who declares things that aren’t as though they are. This guy thought it was a harvest season, but it was a season of transformation. He thought it was a season for fruit, but it was a season for feet.

Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the LORD! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! The Sovereign LORD is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights. –Habakkuk 3:17-19


Quieted,
Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I've MOVED!