Precious few words

She opens her mouth in skillful and godly Wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness [giving counsel and instruction]. - Proverbs 31:26 Amplified Bible

I was reading today's reading from Streams in the Desert this morning. Every word was the desire of my heart, but this sentence really grabbed me:

In this condition, our entire being lies perfectly still under the hand of God; every power and ability of the mind, will, and heart are at last submissive; a quietness of eternity settles into the entire soul; and finally, the mouth becomes quiet, having only a few words to say, and stops crying out the words Christ quoted on the cross, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Ps.22:1)


The mouth becomes quiet, having only a few words to say. Immediately I thought of Proverbs 31:26. This woman, found by God, created in Christ, her mouth has become quiet, having only a few words to say. Most of her life is characterized by what she does, not what she says, so that when she does open her mouth, it's noted. The Proverb isn't talking about her words all throughout it's verses. If it did there'd be no need to say, "She opens her mouth..." But the fact that there is a verse dedicated to preciousness of what she says signifies it's rareness. Mostly, she's quiet. Quietly fearing God, not man, and doing what the Lover of her soul compels her to do in watching over her household.

I want to be that woman! I like to talk. I like to write. I like words. Period. Oh that my life would be characterized by a quiet mouth who speaks few words, and that those few words would be precious wisdom and kindness.

Make me that woman Lord! Quietly resting in your soveriegnty over my life, and speaking precious few wordds.

So glad He found me ,

Isaiah 51:3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I've MOVED!