Skip to main content

Lessons from Wurmbrand and the Ephesian church

At church this past Sunday, as the Pastor was teaching through a section of Acts 19, something he said really caught me. He said something to the effect of, "The Ephesian believers didn't protest the propagation of idols in Ephesus, they simply lived out the message and preached the Word."

When he said that I was reminded of an article I read in my free monthly newsletter from VOM for January 2009. It's the first article in the publication, which is always a letter from the director of VOM, Dr. Tom White.
Dr. White wrote about finding the window in the wall of our lives when we seem to be restrained by human laws or opposition to living out our faith in Christ. The article made me realize something I, as an American Christian, am very weak in. My faith hasn't been opposed much and when it is I have this knee-jerk reaction of protesting and using the governmental system to fight for my "religious rights."

Dr. White wrote this of Richard Wurmbrand, the founder of VOM:



Richard Wurmbrand used to annoy some Christians about their campaign to restore prayer in schools. Mystified, he would say, "Why do you need a campaign? Just have your children bow their heads and pray." We become so worried about legal walls and petty penalties that we forget there is always a window, even when there are trivial earthly consequences.


MMM-mmm! I'm convicted. In my own marriage I tend to get all bent outta shape and start demanding my rights as a wife when I get sideways looks, or probing questions, concerning what I do by faith following Christ. But rather than getting upset that I'm not free to worship as I please, I should praise God that I AM free to worship as I please and embrace the opposition as an opportunity to let God's Spirit of grace and truth be seen in me.

Like my brothers and sisters of old in Ephesus, the land I live in is filled with idols. But rather than staging a protest or pointing a finger, let me follow their example and press on praying, worshipping the Lord, reaching out a hand of mercy and humbly, yet boldly, speaking God's truth.

Oh Father, it really comes down to why we're worshipping (why I'm worshipping). Are we living as Christians so we can have a good conservative life in America? Am I living as a Christian so I can have a good conservative marriage? Or are we living as Christians so that we might be light in this dark world and possibly draw others to come to You? (Am I living as a Christian wife so I can be a light in this house and possibly draw my family to Jesus?) Help me Jesus. Help me to rejoice at opposition not protest it. Help me to fix my face towards heaven yet reach out merciful hands on this earth.

Redeeming the time

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eyes on the Author- the every morning struggle to walk by faith

I don't wake up full of vision and motivation.  Actually, what motivates me most is the idea that my french press and single-origin coffee from Guatemala are just minutes away from awaking my senses with it's warm, toasty aroma.  And on those days when I get my stiff, puffy-eyed body out of bed and make my way to the cabinet to prep the press with my favorite coffee and find we're out, I feel great motivation to get dressed and drive to the local store so I can hurry up and get back home before too much time has passed and get my coffee going.

Basically, coffee motivates me to get up in the morning.

Mixed in the grogginess between eyes open and that first cup of coffee I remember who I am.

I am not my own.  I am a Christian.  The weight of meaning in that word falls on me like gravity on the fledgling attempts of a young eagle to fly every morning.

I feel myself falling.  Falling. Squawking out a cry, "Help!  Help Lord!  I am yours. Let me hear your loving kindness…

An Unlikely 23 Years

Wedding Day- Sept.4, 1993
Connor's birthday- April 1, 2003
During our first separation and pregnancy with Ryland- November 2004
Seeking a new start in Arizona all together- October 2005
 Second separation March 2010
Still together on a desert trail- Spring 2015
Today has been a tough day, emotionally.

Twenty three years ago today I made a vow before God and about 100 family and friends to take James as my husband, to have and to hold from that day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, till death do us part.

Those are some serious promises.  Better, worse, richer and poorer, sickness and health have all been part of these 23 years.  Honestly, most of it has been hard.  We weren't a very likely match at 19 and 21.  He from the big city, me from a small town.  His dad a pharmacist, mine a log truck driver.  We met in a child development class, taking pre-reqs for nursing.  He hated it.  I loved it.  He had long hair and torn jeans and l…

Burned chicken, my story and Israel

It's been an interesting day.



 I'm sitting here trying to get a hold on how I nearly burned down the covered patio by barbecuing bone-in chicken breasts while I planned and prepped other things in the kitchen. I know time can get away from me sometimes, but I tell ya I was in here for 30 minutes and I set the burners on low!

I probably shouldn't post today's attempt at making something real on my new recipe blog. Or maybe I should. Keeping it real. Real, even if it is burned, leads to trust.

Like standing in front of a congregation of missed-the-mark makers like me (many of whom I don't know), telling my charred story, knowing it'll be recorded, knowing my family will be listening. It's a burnt offering, my homologeo. A sum of all that I can put in appropriate words at this time offered up to the Refiner's fire who's been keeping me real through it all.

A very dear person to me asked why Jews and Christians don't agree about Jesus recently.…