More meditations on Philippians 2

"...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." -Philippians2:12b-13

As I was meditating on Philippians 2 the other morning, when I read, "...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling..." the Spirit clearly spoke this to me:

"Nevertheless, she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love and holiness with self-control." 1 Timothy 2:15

"Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you." 1 Timothy 4:16


In an instant I knew what my "salvation", which is to be worked out with fear and trembling, is.

It isn't a new salvation, seperate from Christ. It is Christ working in me both to will and do for His good pleasure. My salvation is worked out, fleshed out, lived out (that is, God is in me working, fleshing, living, out) in raising the children God has entrusted to my care in His nurture and admonition.

This is the doctrine (along with the rest of scripture's doctrine) that I'm to take heed to, because in doing so I save myself and those who hear me (my kids, if they hear me... Oh Lord open their ears!) Again, I'm not saving myself. This is speaking of the redeeming of my life in the flesh in a very lived-out way and the redeeming of my kids' lives by the power of Ephesians 2:8-10:

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

Ephesians 2:8-10 is how I am "saved in childbearing." And it is where in living out this ministry by faith, which God is the one in me willing and doing for His pleasure, I am saved and so are those who hear me.

It's Christ, redeeming the time in me and in you!

It's Christ living out, through me and you, the workmanship He's always had prepared for us to walk in.

It's not our own effort, our own adequacy, or even our own will... it's Christ living in us, and us simply surrendering to His will. In doing so, you and I live out our salvation on the earth (I'm talking to moms here, I know there are more and differing ways this looks for each of us as we live out our salvation in distinct and differing ministries).

And so I pray for my kids (and my precious husband too... in a sense I labor for him more than anyone to know Christ), that they too would work out their own salvation with fear and trembling and that the Lord would give them wisdom and understanding to do that.

Oh, and it is with fear and trembling! For it is impossible apart from Christ!


Redeeming the time,


2 comments:

  1. Sheila,

    Yes, you are right, apart from God we can do nothing of any value.

    I am so glad that God is directing you in this area. You family is truly blessed.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, beautiful.

    "It's not our own effort, our own adequacy, or even our own will... it's Christ living in us, and us simply surrendering to His will.

    AMEN!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

I've MOVED!