Skip to main content

Even if some do not: Study #4


Well it's been way too long between study #3 and this study, #4, to call this a blog post series. Much has been on my heart, but I continue to want to come back to this study. The living out of it is my primary challenge and calling, yet I do enjoy when I get to write down some of what the Lord is teaching me through my failings and victories.


I was just wanting to come in here and do a sit down study on quietness and submission as a continuation of the #3 study about a sojourning wife's adorning, but the need to finish painting my bathroom took priority. So instead, I turned to one of my favorite Bible teachers, Jon Courson, at the Searchlight website and just outta curiosity looked to see if he had a teaching there on 1 Peter 3:1-6. And he did! So I loaded it up (it's an old one from 1995 but very applicable now as God's word always is) and listened while I painted. Boy was I blessed, challenged, convicted and encouraged!


Quickly, a couple things he mentions in the teaching concerning quietness and submission and adorning (this will be study #4 from me, just sharing what really spoke to me from this teaching), and then I'd encourage you to go listen to the full teaching yourself, and if you have the right programs and such on your computer and the time I'd encourage you to watch the video version of it. Here are the link to the teaching and a couple a quick points he made:



  1. The Link: 1 Peter 3:1-6 by Jon Courson from 5-15-96

  2. Submission:

    Jon Courson shares that the example from which we can more fully understand what this submission looks like in a wife's life as it relates to her husband is
    Sarah, according what the Spirit wrote through Peter. He shares the
    example from the Old Testament where Sarah called Abraham "lord" as Peter
    refers to in 1 Peter 3. It's in Genesis 18 where Sarah laughs at the
    prophecy from the three "men" who are visiting with Abraham while she's eaves dropping in the tent about her conceiving and bearing a son. In verse 12, after getting busted about laughing she says, "After I have grown old, shall I
    have pleasure, my lord being old also?" Pastor Jon shares how in this example a woman can learn that just because she may think that what her husband wants to do, or the direction he's taking is ridiculous, even laughable, she can honor her husband, and bring blessing to her family through reverencing
    him as the "lord" of her home.

  3. Adorning:

The word in this text is cosmos and it means to be ordered. Like the
universe, the cosmos, are in order. The order of a "sojourning wife's"
(that's my term not pastor Jon's) life is to primarily be her inner person not
her outer appearance. Pastor Jon shares that Peter isn't saying in this
passage that a woman shouldn't fix her hair or do her makeup or wear clothes,
he's saying that a woman shouldn't make those things her "cosmos", her
world. Her world should not revolve around what she's wearing or how she's
looking. He goes on to say, "The priority of a woman, according to
the Bible...very simple, the priority of her life, is to be standing by her man, and to be focusing on her inner person
."


  1. Quietness:

    "Wives, here's what your to work on. Not your...spring wardrobe...it should be not high on the list... God says... here is what you are to work on. The fashionable woman in the eyes of the Lord, is cultivating a meek and a quiet spirit. That's what's in style for eternity. The older I get the more I don't listen to people who talk a lot. I value the counsel, I listen carefully to people who are not always talking endlessly and have opinions about everyone and everything. Women. Your husbands won't tell you this. But I will. Here's how to weary your man. Chatter. Talk incessantly. Share your opinions and your thoughts and your ideas and the latest gossip and the tidbits and why your mad at this and why you don't agree with that and what this person's doing and what that neighbor said and just keep on chattering. You'll drive him crazy! Now God says gals that you are to be cultivating diligently a meek and a quiet spirit. You may say, 'That's not the way I am!' And I will say, 'God didn't save you to keep you the way that you are. He saved you to remake you into the image of His Son. To make you a godly woman!" (from Jon
    Courson's teaching)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eyes on the Author- the every morning struggle to walk by faith

I don't wake up full of vision and motivation.  Actually, what motivates me most is the idea that my french press and single-origin coffee from Guatemala are just minutes away from awaking my senses with it's warm, toasty aroma.  And on those days when I get my stiff, puffy-eyed body out of bed and make my way to the cabinet to prep the press with my favorite coffee and find we're out, I feel great motivation to get dressed and drive to the local store so I can hurry up and get back home before too much time has passed and get my coffee going.

Basically, coffee motivates me to get up in the morning.

Mixed in the grogginess between eyes open and that first cup of coffee I remember who I am.

I am not my own.  I am a Christian.  The weight of meaning in that word falls on me like gravity on the fledgling attempts of a young eagle to fly every morning.

I feel myself falling.  Falling. Squawking out a cry, "Help!  Help Lord!  I am yours. Let me hear your loving kindness…

An Unlikely 23 Years

Wedding Day- Sept.4, 1993
Connor's birthday- April 1, 2003
During our first separation and pregnancy with Ryland- November 2004
Seeking a new start in Arizona all together- October 2005
 Second separation March 2010
Still together on a desert trail- Spring 2015
Today has been a tough day, emotionally.

Twenty three years ago today I made a vow before God and about 100 family and friends to take James as my husband, to have and to hold from that day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, till death do us part.

Those are some serious promises.  Better, worse, richer and poorer, sickness and health have all been part of these 23 years.  Honestly, most of it has been hard.  We weren't a very likely match at 19 and 21.  He from the big city, me from a small town.  His dad a pharmacist, mine a log truck driver.  We met in a child development class, taking pre-reqs for nursing.  He hated it.  I loved it.  He had long hair and torn jeans and l…

Burned chicken, my story and Israel

It's been an interesting day.



 I'm sitting here trying to get a hold on how I nearly burned down the covered patio by barbecuing bone-in chicken breasts while I planned and prepped other things in the kitchen. I know time can get away from me sometimes, but I tell ya I was in here for 30 minutes and I set the burners on low!

I probably shouldn't post today's attempt at making something real on my new recipe blog. Or maybe I should. Keeping it real. Real, even if it is burned, leads to trust.

Like standing in front of a congregation of missed-the-mark makers like me (many of whom I don't know), telling my charred story, knowing it'll be recorded, knowing my family will be listening. It's a burnt offering, my homologeo. A sum of all that I can put in appropriate words at this time offered up to the Refiner's fire who's been keeping me real through it all.

A very dear person to me asked why Jews and Christians don't agree about Jesus recently.…