Holiday recipes: Sweet mashed yams and homeade rolls recipe

Sweet Mashed Yams

WARNING! I'VE NEVER WRITTEN OUT THIS RECIPE BEFORE (except to give to
my sweet sister) SO PLEASE ADJUST TO YOUR PERSONAL TASTE AS YOU GO!

4-6 yams or sweet potatoes peeled and diced into large chunks (about 1 inch
chunks)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 stick butter
a couple dashes of cinnamon
salt to taste

Boil diced yams in large pot of salted water until tender when pierced with
fork (about 20 minutes). While yams are boiling melt together the brown
sugar, cream and cinnamon over medium heat. Drain yams when their
done. Add butter and 1/4c. melted sugar/cream/cinnamon mixture to
yams. Mash to desired consitency. Serve remaining cream/sugar sauce
on the side so your guests can to turn your yams into desert by pouring more of
the sweet mixture on top of their yams! :)


Homemade Dinner Rolls

(from Donna West at All Recipes.com)

**I DID THIS RECIPE BY HAND NOT WITH A BREAD MACHINE... IT BAKED A LITTLE
LESS THAN 10 MINUTES**

1/2 c. warm water
1/2 c. warm milk
1 egg
1/3 c. butter, softened
1/3 c. white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup butter softened

Place water, milk, egg, 1/3 cup butter, sugar, salt, flour, and yeast in
the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer (I
mixed the yeast in the warm water, milk, and sugar first. Then added the
butter and dry ingredients which I mixed together in a seperate bowl. I
then mixed and needed the dough until it was soft and springy. Then I went
on with the rest of the recipe.)

Turn dough out onto slightly floured surface. Divide dough in
half. Roll each half into a 12 inch circle, spread 1/4 cup softened butter
over entire round. Cut each circle into 8 wedges. Roll wedges
starting at wide end; roll gently but tightly. Place point side down on
ungreased cookie sheet. Cover with clean kitched towel and put in a warm
place (here's a secret I learned about the "warm place" that I can never seem to
find when I want to rise dough. Boil a pot of water. Put it in the
bottom of your oven. Put the dough you want to rise in a dish on the rack
in the oven.) Let rise for 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400
degrees. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until
golden.



Redeeming the time,

1 comment:

  1. Sleeping in a tent by the Christmas tree? I bet your boys LOVE that. My fav. carol is O Holy Night too. Can hardly wait to celebrate our Savior's birth. :~D

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

I've MOVED!