Advent meditation: Hope



I'm doing a Bible study through 1 Peter with a neighbor and the verse that has really grabbed me, which I am trying to memorize, is 1 Peter 1:13:

Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

We've been getting together for quite a few weeks and I never once thought of this verse in regards to Advent.  But during the preaching on Sunday it came to mind. It's the perfect verse for Advent!

Our Pastor talked about hope and how we as Christians look back during Advent to the birth of Christ, but we should really look forward with the birth of Christ in mind.  The Advent Israel waited for was Christ's birth.  It is the Advent I look back to and rejoice in, but for me, the real Advent I wait for is Christ's second coming.  He will come again.  And I will see him as he is!  And oh what grace!  What amazing grace that will be brought to me when I see him face to face.


Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure. - 1 John 3:2-3

That'll sober you up!  That should prepare my mind for action.  I mean, who cares about sales or the latest gadget or the best bred goat or the finest materials for your new shed or the car that needs a paint job, or...  I'm going to see God!  And be like him???!!!  I can hardly wrap my brain around it!

I know this doesn't mean I'll become a god myself.  But I'll be whole like God is.  I'll be loving like God is.  I'll be a perfected, redeemed reflector of His glory like I was created by Him to be!  Christ will be my brother!  God my face to face Father!  There's no time for pettiness.  There's no time for continuing in sinful, worldly, self-indulgence.  That's all a waste!  But anticipating that day, meditating on it, pointing others to it- that's not a waste.  I bear his name.  And one day I will see his face.  Oh what a day!  Come quickly Lord Jesus!


Quieted,
Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I've MOVED!