Of life without a down side

One day I'll get to endlessly experience life without the down side.  I was thinking about that on this beautifully cool, gray, drizzling morning.

I was awakened this morning by, "Get up!  The cat peed on the bed!"  Yeah.  That's the definition of waking up on the wrong side of the bed.  In fact, they should just change that saying.  Instead of, "Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed!"  We should say, "Someone woke up with a cat peeing on the bed!"  I'm not a cat person, I tolerate her existence in my house since I have three other members of my household who adore her, but now, she's on my hit list.

You might think this would pretty much ruin my day, but to my surprise, a theme of thankfulness has been running through heart this morning.  The hum of the constant rain, the smell of bacon and hot coffee, the sense that this wet, grey day may have provided for me hot tea, good books and quiet… at least until 11A.M. when the business of basketball games and batting practice starts.

As I lay on the couch this morning, I could hear my husband rehearsing the news out loud from the kitchen table.  Some guy has "tamed" lions by giving them, "love and affection".   "That guy's gonna get eaten!" my husband prophesies.    He's probably right, but it reminded me that someday, life will really be like that with no threat of harm.  We get little glimpses now of what the Bible promises those whose faith is in Christ will experience for eternity.

Some day the lion will lie with the lamb and snakes will be play things.  Some day cats won't pee on beds and bacon won't clog arteries.  Some day rest won't seem like a waste of time or laziness.  Some day what we call work will be joyful, creative expressions of Imago Dei in us.  Some day other centered affections and interests will be my constant character.  Some day there won't even be a hint or undertone of thinking of Jesus in a religious, untouchable or cheesy way.  Some day talking of God and his beauty and glory and Christ and his love and affection will be as natural and as joyous as talking about your hero and the faithful dad who loves you and the chivalrous husband who swept you off your feet and the courageous warrior who saved his platoon in a self-sacrificing act.  Some day there will be life of life abounding without even a whiff of a down side and all that was here that I ever complained about will be a vapor long gone.  Some day life will be so vivid, so unrestrained, so deep and wide and full of awe and beauty and pleasure that all I ever thought might be worth turning away from the way of the cross to satisfy me here will seem like piles of worm filled dung.

Some day breath and rest and smiles and belly laughter and affections and flavors and sounds and vistas and powers and relationships and intimacy with the King of Glory will be my constant, uninhibited, depravity-free experience.  Oh that I would lift my head and let the things of earth grow strangely dim!


"Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore. Be glad; rejoice forever in my creation! And look! I will create Jerusalem as a place of happiness. Her people will be a source of joy."- Isaiah 65:17-18

 Quieted,
Sheila

Featured Post

I've MOVED!